We have come full circle from the journey that started 6 months ago at the Winter Solstice. Solstice literally means “standing of the sun”; it’s quite humbling when I see it that way. I think to myself, wow – if the strongest ball of fire in our solar system and can stand still then who am I to say “I’m too busy”.
Cultures around the world celebrate this day with rituals and festivities. Similar to New Year’s, it’s a day to reflect and rejoice. I’ve adopted a ritual around each change of the season to honor both nature and myself.
You may be wondering… celebrate what? We often get lost in thinking that “celebrations” must be huge milestones in life and in the process, overlook the events that occur every day, I’m guilty of it myself.
We can connect with this milestone in the earth’s cycle by taking a moment to stop, be still and reflect on our individual unique journey since the Winter Solstice. Summer brings with it a new season of food, movement and meditation to nourish “you”. Before you can bring in the new you must cleanse the old and create space.
Summer Solstice Meditation:
Celebrate your outer journey and prepare to transfer your energy inwards over the second half of the year leading up to the winter solstice. Remember, the days will slowly begin to shorten after today. Reflect on what seeds you wish to energize to fruition and what you wish to incubate over the coming months. What lights your fire? What gets your creative juices flowing? What fuels your passion?
Here’s a Summer Solstice Meditation to listen to
Summer Solstice Self Reflection Questions
Other questions to reflect on throughout this season. You can pose these questions during a meditation practice, write them in a journal, ask them first thing in the morning, or let them linger through daily activity. Asking the question alone energizes them so don’t search too hard for answers. Answers will rise in due time.
- What has gone well?
- Who has helped me and how can I show my gratitude to them?
- Which seeds have failed to germinate and how would I do things differently to ensure success next time?
- What do I want to nurture and develop in myself over the coming months?
- What lights my fire, what turns me on and what do I desire?
- How do I express my creative energy? How do I feed my creative fire and what is its fuel?
- How can I shine my light out in to the world? How do I give and receive love? How do I bring warmth, nourishment and passion in to my relationship with both myself and others?
- Which obstacles would I like to burn away and what needs cleansing and purifying by fire?
- How do I honor, direct, and constructively channel my righteous anger?
- Can my fiery side ever be destructive to myself or others?
Grounding exercises for the Summer:
The energy of the summer sun and longer days encourage us to be outside and play. It’s the season of marathons, triathlons, competitions, and more. It’s easy to get carried away with the expansive energy of summer so take time to bring yourself down to earth with a simple grounding yoga pose, Tadasana, Mountain Pose. Stand still, feet together, and take 5 deep breaths. Inhale; draw the breath up from the earth and to the top of the head. Exhale, release any lingering thoughts and tension leaving behind fresh energy.
Each season brings with it unique fruits, veggies, and recipes that support our bodies in thriving during shift in climate and energetic needs. Find out what’s in season in your local region here.
My top 10 favorite summer fruits and veggies that I’m looking forward to are:
- Summer squash
- Fresh Garlic
Enjoy this wonderful season ahead. I love living seasons and being in flow with nature.
As always don’t just take my word for it, try it out for yourself and report back in comments …