Looking to soothe that sweet tooth? Here’s a yummy recipe that’s au natural, using natural sweeteners like honey and fruit. Makes for a great dessert! Enjoy
Maple Fruit Compote with Honey-Ginger Toasted Nuts
Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 20 minutes Serves: 4
2-3 peaches or pears
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 cup raisins
juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup walnuts or nuts of your choice
1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
2 tablespoons honey
1. Wash, core and chop fruit into slices or chunks.
2. Place in a large saucepan with 1/3 cup of water. Add the maple syrup and raisins.
3. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
4. Add lemon juice and cinnamon. Cook for another 10 minutes, until soft.
5. While fruit is cooking, place chopped nuts in a skillet over medium heat and toast, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
6. Drizzle honey over the nuts and add ginger, but keep stirring since the honey can easily burn.
7. Top warm fruit with toasted nuts and enjoy!
As always don’t just take my word for it, try it out for yourself and report back. Post to comments…
Upcoming Event: Mindful Eating and Asana
I’m excited about a new upcoming workshop where we will explore our relationship with food through body movement, mindful practice, and nutrition education.
When: Saturday September 8th Mountain View, Ca
For more information click here
About the author
Ritu Riyat MPH|Holistic Health and Nutrition Counselor| Yoga Therapist is a San Francisco based Health Counselor promoting universal wellness via Skype consultations, and seminars. Delivering simple techniques to add balance through food, movement, and meditation. She is an avid cyclist, crossfitter and yogini. Her motto “food is a drug, eat responsibly”… Nutritionize now!